Ministry of Education staff support schools during and emergency or traumatic incident by working alongside a service’s or school’s traumatic incident team or management team to respond to an incident and implement the service or school traumatic incident response plan. Schools and early childhood services access this service through 0800 TI Team (0800 848 326) 24 hours.
Ministry of Education staff will:
- assist traumatic incident teams to respond to an incident and help maintain day-to-day operations
- assist staff to communicate appropriately with children, young people and the community about the incident
- make people aware of basic coping and self-help strategies such as re-connection with daily routines and care, and how to communicate about the event
- provide advice about typical traumatic incident responses
- ensure the safety of children, young people and staff by developing processes and systems with the ECE service or school traumatic incident team
- link to Māori networks and other culturally-appropriate services.