The standards set clear expectations that students need to meet in reading, writing and mathematics in the first eight years at school.
The standards describe reference points or signposts of achievement at each year level. Assessing progress and achievement in relation to the standards will be an integral part of teaching and learning across the New Zealand Curriculum from 2010.
- assess individual students’ progress and achievement in relation to the standards
- support students to use assessment information to inform their own learning goals and their next learning steps
- use a range of assessment information
- provide regular report to parents in plain language about their children's progress in relation to National Standards, including twice a year in writing
- provide clear information to parents, families and whānau so they can support their children's learning at home.
Ngā Whanaketanga Rūmaki Māori – Māori-medium National Standards
Draft Ngā Whanaketanga Rūmaki Māori – National Standards in literacy and numeracy in Māori-medium education have been developed and are available on this website.