Ongoing initiatives spanning early childhood, primary, intermediate and secondary education are designed to produce a high-income, knowledge-based economy that includes all New Zealanders. Current initiatives focus sector-wide on truancy, pastoral care, professional development, raising achievement, personalised learning and collaboration between agencies.
In this section
- National Standards
- National Standards aim to lift achievement in literacy and numeracy (reading, writing, and mathematics) by being clear about what students should achieve and by when
- Ngā Whanaketanga Rumaki Māori
- Ngā Whanaketanga Rumaki Māori (Ngā Whanaketanga) have been developed by Māori-medium leaders in te reo matatini (literacy) and pāngarau (numeracy)
- Strengthening student achievement
- The Ministry is changing the way it supports schools to strengthen student achievement
- Tātaiako: Cultural Competencies for Teachers of Māori Learners
- Tātaiako: Cultural Competencies for Teachers of Māori Learners is a new resource explaining the progression of the competencies teachers need to develop so they can help Māori learners achieve educationally as Māori
- Ultra-fast Broadband in Schools
- The Ministry of Education is working on a range of initiatives to ensure that schools are ready to make full use of ultra-fast broadband when it becomes available
- Youth Guarantee - expanding opportunities for our young people
- Youth Guarantee provides 16 and 17 year olds with an opportunity to take part in a range of vocational courses free of charge
- Mātaiako is about gathering and interpreting information about student progress and achievement and using that information to improve teaching and learning
- Partnership Schools | Kura Hourua
- Learn more about the Partnership Schools | Kura Hourua, the Working Group and the process and timeline for establishment.
- Positive Behaviour for Learning
- Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L) provides programmes and initiatives for schools, teachers and parents across the country to promote positive behaviour in children and young people.
- Social Sector Trials
- Information on the social sector education trial in Rotorua