Vision and mission
Special Education’s vision is a fully inclusive education system. This means confident schools, confident parents and confident children, where every day every child learns and succeeds.
To help achieve this, we support, guide and lead the education sector to improve the system for children with special education needs. We want to see all schools demonstrating inclusive practice by 2014.
When schools are demonstrating inclusive practice, they adapt to fit the student rather than making the student adapt to fit the school. Educators are:
- show strong ethical leadership
- use coordinated and informed approaches to including all students
- use innovative and flexible practices.
When parents, families and whānau are confident, they:
- are well informed about services and support that are available
- know their child is welcome at their local school.
When children and young people are confident, they:
- are learning and achieving at school
- have friends
- are happy
- want to go to school.
See our Success for All – Every School, Every Child work programme for some of the initiatives we have put in place to support children, parents, families, whānau and schools.
Also in this section