Worksafe at Schools - Toolkit 7a - Hazard Registers
A list of downloadable Hazard Registers & Control Plans that can be used to identify and control hazards in schools.
Toolkit 7A - Hazard Registers
Hazard Registers have been prepared for a number of areas of a school and will be different depending on whether the school is primary or secondary level. These registers are examples only and should be used to help identify similar hazards in the school.
A blank Hazard Register has also been provided for schools to download and complete.
Hazard Registers are located at the bottom of the page as downloadable files.
Note: The Hazard Registers are all 'locked'. This means that while you can print out the forms, you can not make any changes to them electronically (e.g. typing into them) except for entering information into the date fields. In order to type into the pages you must first unlock them.
To 'unlock' the pages you must:
1. Locate the 'forms' toolbar on your screen
a) Go to the 'View' menu at the top of your screen
b) Scroll down until you come to the 'toolbars' menu
c) Tick the 'forms' toolbar
2. Once you have the 'forms' toolbar on screen you need to left click your mouse on the 'lock' icon (this looks like a padlock and is usually located at the right-hand end of the toolbar). This will unlock the form and allow you to type straight into the form.
3. Repeating step 2 will lock the form again.
Areas to consider:
- Offices and reception areas
- Staff room
- School hall
- General teaching classrooms
- Science laboratories
- Technology rooms
- Swimming pools
- Caretakers work area
- General outdoor environment
- Education outside the classroom
- Car park and school crossing
- Toilets and cloakrooms
- Tuck shop
- Bike shed
- Temporary classrooms
- Storage rooms
You must also take into account earthquakes and other natural events when completing your hazard registers. For example, during an earthquake unsecured shelving could fall and block emergency exits if not appropriately secured to floors or walls.