Laptops for teachers and principals
The TELA Laptop Scheme (the TELA Scheme) enables eligible principals and teachers in state and state-integrated schools to lease laptops. The laptops are on a three year lease and replacement plan, they are delivered with software imaging and are covered by warranty and indemnity policies.
Schools are able to access support for the TELA Scheme via the TELA website and help desk. The key contact points for schools are:
TELA website and helpdesk
Schools can access detailed information about the TELA scheme from the TELA website and helpdesk. This information covers the:
- Catalogue of laptops available for lease and their price
- Leasing requirements, agreements and schedules
- Ordering and returning laptops
- End of lease dates and arrangements
- Warranty and indemnity repairs
- School eligibility
- Frequently asked questions
- Login and passwords.
Schools can also order new and replacement laptops and log warranty and indemnity repairs directly from the site.
End of lease laptops ordered before 1 March 2012 must be returned to Equico email@example.com.
About the lease
Principals of state and state-integrated schools are eligible for a fully subsidised laptop.
Teachers can apply for a laptop under the TELA Scheme if they are:
- A permanent full-time or part-time (at least 50% FTE) teacher, and
- Working with year 1 to 13 classes, or
- Relieving for a permanent position in year 1 to 13 classes. (Long-term relievers are only eligible if they are relieving for a permanent position that doesn’t have a TELA laptop.)
Resource Teachers of Learning and Behaviour (RTLB), literacy, Māori and itinerant music teachers are eligible if you meet the above criteria.
Service provider role
In March 2012 the Ministry of Education contracted Telecom Rentals Limited as service provider for the TELA Scheme. In that role TRL is responsible for:
- Helpdesk and ordering portal website services
- Ordering and distributing laptops
- Leasing arrangements
- Coordinating warranty and indemnity repairs
- Software imaging for new laptops.
Change in provider
The TELA Scheme has been in place since 2002. Any laptops leased before March 2012 are covered by Equico leases. Direct any enquiries about end of lease laptops to http://eol.equico.co.nz/leadspace/l_login.aspx or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All of Government procurement
Laptops available to schools via the TELA Scheme are purchased through the All of Government Desktop and Laptop Computer Contract. All of Government procurement is led by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Enterprise, which takes advantage of bulk purchase arrangements on behalf of the Crown.
Remove data before returning
Before returning your laptop, you must remove your data. Follow the process in the FAQ document at www.tela.co.nz.
How to apply
To order TELA laptops for your school, please visit www.tela.co.nz.
Login and password
To obtain a login in and password to the TELA website please contact the TELA help desk - details at top of the page.
Contacting the Ministry
To contact the Ministry about the TELA Scheme email email@example.com.