Ongoing initiatives in schools are designed to produce a high-income, knowledge-based economy which includes all New Zealanders. Current priorities include supporting children to make healthy lifestyle choices; supporting better student information management; promoting the effective use of information and communication technologies in NZ schools; developing IT systems to improve data quality, accuracy and access to information; and improving the overall enrolment management process ensuring greater visibility of students who fail to transition smoothly between schools.
In this section
- Service academies
- Service academies encourage students to stay engaged in learning by providing a motivating and disciplined programme.
- Trades Academies
- Trades Academies aim to get young New Zealanders engaged in education, and equip tomorrow’s workforce with relevant skills by linking with the wider industry training system
- Learning Communities Online (LCO)
- Information about Learning Communities Online (LCO)
- ICT in Schools
- Main index page for information and communication technologies in schools (ICT) in Schools
- Managed Learning Environments
- Information about Managed Learning Environments (MLE), Student Management Systems (SMS) and Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- STAR - Secondary Tertiary Alignment Resource
- The Secondary Tertiary Alignment Resource (STAR) provides all state secondary schools with additional funding to access courses that provide greater opportunities for students
- Voluntary bonding scheme
- Information about the voluntary workforce bonding scheme, designed to recognise teachers who choose to enter teaching in schools and subjects where there is high need
- Education service for youth courts
- About the Ministry of Education's, education services to youth courts throughout New Zealand.
- The Aspire Scholarship
- Detailed information including application and costs for the Aspire Scholarship.
- Youth Apprenticeships
- Background information on the Youth Apprenticeships scheme. More up-to-date information is available in the Youth Guarantee section.