Government goals for Pasifika learners 2013 - 2017
High level goals
The Government has indicated that the following are their high level goals for Pasifika education:
- increased participation in quality ECE
- continued improvement in literacy and numeracy achievement across all levels of education
- learners achieving NCEA Level 2 or an equivalent qualification by 2016, increased to 100% by 2023
- improved attendance as a foundation for engagement in learning
- emphasis on the importance of Pasifika identities, languages and cultures
- full implementation of Youth Guarantee for Pasifika learners and creating pathways for success
- Pasifika learners acquiring skills essential to the future New Zealand workforce.
Long term outcomes
What we want to achieve by 2016:
- Increased participation in quality ECE to 98%.
- Improved National Standards performance.
- More learners achieving NCEA level 2 or an equivalent qualification.
- School Leavers entering tertiary education at level 4 or above.
- Parents, families and communities are knowledgeable, demanding and actively understand their child’s progress and achievement.
- Families are knowledgeable and are able to support their child in making good choices about education pathways and career options.
Short term outcomes
What we need to do to achieve our long term outcomes:
- Provide access to quality ECE services.
- High quality, highly effective and culturally responsive teaching is necessary to accelerate Pasifika success.
- Inform and empower families to actively take part and understand their child’s progress and achievement.
- Inform and empower families to support their young person in making good choices about education pathways and career options.
- Empower and encourage Pasifika learners to participate and attain higher levels of tertiary education.