About the Code of Practice
About the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
About the Code of Practice
When you come to study in New Zealand, your New Zealand education provider has an important responsibility to ensure that you are well informed, safe and properly cared for.
To support this, the New Zealand government has developed a Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students (the Code).
The Code is a document that provides a framework for service delivery by education providers and their agents to international students.
It sets out minimum standards of advice and care that you can expect and provides a procedure that you can follow if you have concerns about the treatment you receive from your education provider or agent of a provider.
The Code does not apply to concerns about academic standards. If you want more information on this, please refer to information provided on the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) website.
Who the Code applies to
The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international students enrolled.
The New Zealand Ministry of Education maintains a register of all education providers and exchange organisations that the Code applies to.
Go to our section that lists Code approved education providers and Code approved exchange organisations.
If the education provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not Code approved, you will not be granted a permit from the New Zealand Immigration Service and you will not be able to study at that institution.
A summary of the Code
The Code sets standards for education providers to ensure that:
- high professional standards are maintained
- the recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner
- information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date
- students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments
- contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner
- the particular needs of international students are recognised
- international students are in safe accommodation
- all providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances.
The Code also has a process to go through if you wish to make a complaint.
You can also download a Summary of the Code of Practice.
How to get a copy of the Code
You can request a copy of the Code from your New Zealand education provider. You can also download a full copy of the Code of Practice. This can be downloaded in a number of different languages.